Saturday, May 22, 2010

S5 Ep3 "Jughead"

Observations:

1) This is the first time that I've doubted Faraday being a good guy. I find myself questioning if anything he says is true. He definitely seems more assertive now, much more confident and in control, without any particular explanation as to why he has stepped up. He doesn't seem like the same guy who freaked out when he got pushed out of a helicopter.

2) I'm starting to think that the reason Richard is never the leader of the Others is because Richard can't see Jacob. Only the "chosen one" can see Jacob, such as in the case of Ben. Locke went with Ben to visit Jacob, but Locke never really saw Jacob. He only heard his voice. But since Locke is only a quasi-leader at best, that sort of makes sense. Of course, if Richard, the only immortal guy on the island, can't see Jacob, one has to wonder why. Can Jacob appear to anyone he wants? Or only to one specific person at a time? Or is it something more timey-wimey than that? Jacob might turn out to be one of the those who eventually gets trapped back in time? All things seem possible now...

Regardless of all that, my impression is that Jacob is the ultimate leader of the Others, and always has been. But that he can only act through a surrogate (I can only assume that's because Jacob is a dead guy), and that that surrogate is never Richard. My guess, because Richard cannot see Jacob, for whatever reason.

2 comments:

  1. In many regards, I think you are experiencing Lost in the best way possible. I'm very envious, but also loving the shit out of this vicarious experience.

    I have to wonder, is there any other person on the planet who is cramming the entire series in a grand total of 5 or 6 days? You may be truly unique, in the strict definition of the word.

    Also, your perceptiveness is remarkable and largely made possible by the way you are watching the show, but even you have fallen for some of the misdirections we all fell for. Obviously, I am not going to elaborate on that. ;)

    In any case, this is the best blog I have ever read and I can hardly wait to read your ruminations once this is all over.


    (P.S. - You may very well get more out of a re-watch than anyone ever has. (And I say that as someone who has seen each episode a MINIMUM of 3 times.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "all things seem possible now" That is the magic of Lost for me

    ReplyDelete